Saturday, February 26, 2011

Why Buy Organic?


I have been buying organic food for quite some time now. I don't buy everything organic, but when I can, I will. Ever since I was a preteen, it was drilled into me by my mom that organic was better and healthier. I never questioned why until later on. I had a lot of people tell me I was wasting my money, that organic was not that much better than conventionally grown food. I needed to find out if and why that was or wasn't true so I did my research.

The following are reasons why I buy organic food.


  • Organic food has more nutrients than conventionally grown food, especially when you buy it locally from farmers who care for their land and try to have the best soil possible. I talk to the farmers that I buy food from and they are so committed to making sure their soils and foods are as nutrient rich as possible. This is a far cry from huge agricultural businesses which grow soil depleting crops over and over .. and grow GMOs..and load them up with pesticides and chemicals. YUCK!

  • This new article explains other reasons to love and buy organic. Organic foods don't contain GMOs, toxic pesticides and fertilizers, synthetic growth hormones, antibiotics, and chemical additives.

Along with buying organic, I try to buy local as well. Why, you ask?


  • It supports the local economy.

  • I know where my food is coming from and who grows it.

  • It has more nutrients, in part due to being picked at peak ripeness and not having to travel across the country to get to me.

  • You just can't beat the taste of local tomatoes, oranges, honey, eggs, and chicken (to name a few)!

Here's to happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment